6th Class History 27th April-1st May
Dates: 27th April-1st May
Unit 12: The Irish Free State p.66-71
This unit will explain how the first Irish government, with a Dáil and a Seanad, came about. I would love to see some more of your projects that you researched, on either Michael Collins or Éamon de Valera (if some more of you would like to email me a photograph of your work?). We will see that both men continued to have major roles to play, even after the setting up of the Irish Free State.
Here is a short video about the Irish Civil War that you could watch before starting to read this unit: https://youtu.be/k9ayLHPLROg
What Ireland was like in the 1920s: https://youtu.be/G1skuaXxFWE
· After you finish reading, can you give three reasons why the Civil War took place?
· Discuss Q1-4 on p.69 with an adult.
· Please do activity A and B on p.71.
· On a page in your scrapbook can you design a poster to encourage people to vote for Cumann na nGaedheal (you will find some persuasive facts/information on p.68, 69). Make sure you’ve included a catchy slogan, short/snappy sentences or phrases, an eye catching & bright layout and don’t forget to include what’s on offer if you join!
· There are questions c, d, and e on p.71 if anyone would like some additional activities.